How to Make a Workplace Injury Claim in Ireland

How to make a workplace injury claim

Thousands of Irish people are involved in workplace accidents each year. Often such accidents can result in a successful workplace injury claim. According to data from the European Union’s statistics agency, Eurostat, Ireland is above the EU average in terms of the number of fatal accidents at work. In 2015, 7,775 non-fatal injuries were reported to the HAS. Of these injuries 96% involved workers, while the remaining 4% involved members of the public.

If you are one of the thousands of Irish people that has been involved in a workplace accident and are seeking to make a personal injury* claim, here are the 3 steps you should follow when making a claim.

The Process for Making a Workplace Injury Claim

If you have suffered an accident at work, your priority should be to ensure that your injuries are treated swiftly. Once you’ve received medical attention, it’s important to report the accident to your immediate superior and following this you should

STEP 1: Seek Medical Assistance

The first, most important step to making a workplace injury claim, is to seek medical assistance. The most important thing is your physical well-being and this takes immediate priority over any considerations for financial damages down the line. However, by immediately seeking medical attention from your GP or hospital it may provide sufficient material to help prove the legitimacy of your work injury claim subsequently.

STEP 2: Report the Accident

If your accident is very serious or you have been significantly traumatised, it may not always be possible to follow procedures but it is recommended that you inform your immediate superior of the nature of the workplace injury as soon as possible. Ideally, you should also insist on receiving at minimum a written acknowledgement of your accident at work report.

STEP 4: Seek Legal Advice

No matter the circumstances, always seek legal advice from a specialist personal injury* solicitor before doing anything that might impact either your work injury claim or your future employment. They will be able to guide you through any difficulties you may encounter and help you to obtain a successful outcome.

A trained and experienced solicitor, will be able to determine if your employer is likely to be found liable and may be able to estimate the amount of damages you are likely to receive. Most personal injury* matters are assessed free of charge to determine if you have a claim.

Other Considerations When Making a Workplace Injury Claim

You might be concerned that if you take an injury at work claim against your employer that it may result in dismissal, bullying or curtailment of promotional prospects. It should be noted that even in contentious cases, it is mainly a contest between the solicitor and the employer’s insurance company, and it is not taken as a ‘personal’ matter by the employer. There are also strict laws which protect you from any unfair workplace sanctions as a result of your claim.

Have you been in a workplace accident that wasn’t your fault? Do you wish to make a claim? Then  get in contact  with Anthony Joyce solicitors. With years of experience negotiating workplace injury claims, our team can advise you on the best course of action for your  workplace injury claim. 

Anthony Joyce

Anthony founded Anthony Joyce & Co. Solicitors in March 2004 in the oldest part of Dublin known as the Liberties (originally a tax free part of Dublin!!). He is focused on building the practice in certain niche areas of law such as financial litigation and personal insolvency. Entrepreneurship is in his blood and he is on the board of a number of start-ups. If Anthony is not available he could be watching a SpaceX rocket launch, spending time with his two children or playing 5-a-side.

Got a question?
Get in touch and ask our helpful staff.

Get in touch

Fluent Form - Pop Up